How to Use Essential Oils for Kids!
Essential oils can have many wonderful benefits for kids - from helping them relax to improving sleep and helping them focus! However, if you’re looking to introduce essential oils and aromatherapy to your little ones, it’s important to do it safely.
Not sure where to begin? Read on for our guide on using essential oils for kids below.
What are the best essential oils for kids?
There are many essential oils that are safe to apply topically and diffuse around children (when diluted correctly). Some of the best kid-friendly essential oils include:
- Clary Sage
- Tea Tree
How to use essential oils safely for kids
Essential oils are highly concentrated, and children are much more sensitive to them than adults. With this in mind, it’s important to understand that the rules for using essential oils safely are different for your little ones. The key to using essential oils safely for your kids is to dilute them correctly, and follow the guidelines below:
- Only use high-quality essential oils from reputable sources that have been tested and cleared for safe use
- Only use gently essential oils that are known to be safe for use around kids
- Always use smaller amounts of essential oils when diffusing around kids and only diffuse oils in large, open rooms. Avoid small, compact spaces, as the essential oils can become overpowering
- Always dilute essential oils before applying topically to children (you’ll need 5 drops of carrier oil for every 1 drop of essential oil)
- Do a patch test before using any new oil, and avoid sensitive areas (such as around the eyes) or broken skin
- Be mindful of sunlight exposure after applying essential oils - always check your oils for a sunlight sensitivity warning before application
- Always supervise your children when using essential oils, and store them safely out of reach from your little ones
Essential oil remedies for kids
There are so many great ways to use essential oils with your kids! Here are a few of our favourite essential oil remedies for children:
Create a relaxing bedtime routine with lavender oil
Incorporate lavender oil into your little one’s bedtime routine to help them relax, wind down, and drift away into a deep sleep. Simply place a couple of drops of lavender oil on their pillow, or in their bath before bed. You can also create a bedtime room spray by filling a clean spray bottle with distilled water and adding 10 drops of lavender oil.
Use citrus oils for focus and motivation
Citrus oils are perfect for promoting focus and motivation, especially for school-aged kids. Try diffusing some wild orange or grapefruit oil when an afternoon pick-me-up is needed!
Encourage “sensory play” with aromatherapy
Incorporate essential oils into your children’s playtime activities with aromatherapy playdough or slime! Sensory play encourages learning through exploration and creativity.
Use this aromatherapy playdough recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coloured water
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 drops of your chosen essential oils
Combine all ingredients (except the essential oils) in a saucepan and stir well. Once combined, place on a medium heat and use a spatula to gently stir until a ball is formed. Be careful not to overcook, as this will create dry playdough! Remove from the heat, let cool on parchment paper, then knead essential oils into the mixture until thoroughly combined. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge in between uses.
Clear stuffy noses with an essential oil diffuser
Help your kids clear stuffy noses by diffusing essential oils to relieve congestion. Try blending 1-2 drops of frankincense, 1-2 drops of lavender oil and 1-2 drops of lemon oil in your diffuser, or add to a bowl of boiling water so your little one can breathe in the steam.
Don’t forget we offer AfterPay, ZipPay, LayBuy and LatitudePay for all purchases. Want more health and wellness tips, product news and special offers? Don’t forget to sign up for our Inspire Me Naturally newsletter!